Tomorrow evening at 8Pm Pacific Time, the Hugo Awards will be awarded. (cue sad trombones, for that very awkward sentence.)
I'm pleased to say that I have read all 6 of the contenders for best Novel, and also several of the contenders for best Novella.
Since I have read all 6 of the Nominees, I feel like I really should be making a prediction. Last year I predicted incorrectly, but the novel I would have chosen if I had gone with my heart, won. This year, I am again torn. Firstly these 6 are all strong contenders. They were all pretty much bangers, well written, well composed, addressed interesting issues in unusual ways. None of these were novels I finished and forgot about.
That said, I did have my favorites. If you follow the blog you won't be surprised that I adored Robert Jackson Bennett's book two in the Ana and Din series, Emily Tesh's The Incandescent and also the Raven Scholar by Antonia Hodgson. You might be surprised to find that I did not really enjoy Alix Harrow's The Everlasting, and that I was impressed by Okorafor's novel but I honestly didn't enjoy the reading of it. And Tchaikovsky. Well. He is a brilliant writer, but I do not think he is exactly the writer for me. Many of his novels seem incredibly inventive, until one has read several and then suddently it's always disgruntled academics, and insectoid creatures (that said Preaching to the Choir, a new novella he put out, has my heart, I loved that one, insects and all) .
For me my TOP contenders are The Raven Scholar and A Drop of Corruption. The Incandescent was a book that I really really enjoyed, but when compared to the others in this list, it just didn't pack the same punch as Some Desperate Glory did. If I was giving the award, I think I might just give it to Robert Jackson Bennett, AGAIN. But honestly if I was giving the award, I might just go with The Raven Scholar, since Mr. Bennett won last year. I do feel like A Drop of Corruption is superior to the first book, but still... I don't know that people should hog awards year after year. Looking at Hugo's of the past, I do see that this has occasionally happened, so it could happen again.
The Raven Scholar was fascinating to me because when I describe it to others, it sounds like a very standard fantasy novel, but at every opportunity Hodgson injects twists that I did not expect, lore that makes the world feel familiar and foreign at the same time, and characters that are hard to forget.
So frankly, if I had all the power, I would choose Hodgson's The Raven Scholar.
Do I think the Raven Scholar will win?
I feel like that may be a No.
From watching reviews and discussion, I am going to predict that actually Alix Harrow's The Everlasting may take the podium. I personally do not like time travel and this novel... was heavily time travel. I also sort of got sick of the circular time frame and once I realized that there would be some sort of success in this desperate battle, I mostly wanted the repetitive time loops to just.. cease and desist. Others did not feel as I did and I saw so many 5 star reviews from readers all over the world. Readers who normally read only romantasy were all over this book. Sci-Fi readers enjoyed the time bending aspects, and others just thought it was a great story overall.
I don't think I'll be mad if Harrow's novel takes top spot. It's well written, and although I had issues with it, I was still able to finish it, and I did enjoy many aspects of the novel.
I look forward to waking up tomorrow evening around 11-12 eastern and finding out who prevailed. let me know if you have predictions in the comments!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment