This is such a fun book! I found myself compulsively listening to it.
I have always been fascinated by the Punk scene. I was born too late for it, but- everyone I've ever met who was seriously Punk with a capital P was wildly creative, vibrant and totally interesting. Legs McNeil- the "resident Punk" was part of the start of all of it. He narrates through Crispin Kott the story of both his life, which is irrevocably intertwined with the punk movement of the 1970's.
Brilliance Audio generously shared an advanced copy of the audiobook, and with narration by Mark Engelhardt, I actually sort of felt like I was basically in a casual conversation with McNeil himself. I did check a few times because the narration was so natural I thought maybe it was McNeil doing the narration.
Readers are given stories of McNeil's upbringing, and also many non published stories of the movers and shakers in the Punk scene, Joey Ramone, The Dictators, Elvis Costello, Poly Styrene and more.
This is a great production, and I found myself continuing to think - just a few more minutes- every time I was going to put away my headphones. Some have called Legs the coolest guy in the room and I'm starting to believe it.
Put this on your list if you'd enjoy a memoir with a few tales that read like fiction but are true indeed.
STATS
First Published: 9/15/2026
Pages: 308
Available as an Audio Book : Yes
Trigger Warnings: Sex, drugs and rock and roll. Medical details, vomit.
(this is not a full list, read responsibly)
That looks very interesting, Did it go into some of the ways he made the Punk magazine? I remember those kind of magazines that came out of nowhere!
ReplyDelete