Saturday, 25 July 2026

Book Review: Whalesong by Miles Cameron

 So Many Thanks to Saga for providing me with an E-copy of this novel for me to read and review!

It really isn't any surprise, given that I really liked book one and two in this series that I really loved Whalesong! 


Whalesong takes off right after the end of book 2 Deep Black. While Cameron does give enough context that a reader could pick up book three independently, I think it's far more enjoyable to have read books 1 and 2. 

   So as this is book 3 in a series, there are going to be some minor spoilers, but I will attempt to not give away any of the excellent plot. 

     The set up in this book was a bit slower than the first two- Our crew is now free of their contract, and readers find them pursuing multiple different lives - some outside of service, and some taking on new roles across the universe. Up until about 40% I felt like I was actually missing some of the crew, but Cameron of course, brings things full circle  and the narrative really sped up at about 50%-  and if I am being honest, without the slower set up in the first half of the book, the second half would not have been as easy to follow and I would not have had as much fun as I did with it. I will particularly say there is a moment when Zhao- a character who seemed to be basically a supporting character, rose to Main character status, and at that point, I just feel in love with her and the entire plot.  At that point, I found it hard to put down and I had to finish.  I did feel that this is an excellent series to turn into a TV drama (anyone listening?) 

    What can readers expect?
 - An extension of this Space Opera with introduction of some new players. Continued growth and development of characters we already know. 
 - Well written, pulse pounding action and battle scenes
 - An underlying very human love story
 - Hard Sci- Fi elements of insertion points, space fuel, space weapons, the realities of gravity and space travel and more. 
 - Military Sci-Fi elements- political intrigue, battle strategy, space weapons, alliances and spies.
 - Soft Sci-Fi elements focusing on deep character development, relationships, ethics and linguistics in a space setting. 

   Cameron had published this before, but it is getting a re-release from Saga Press with a gorgeous new cover series. To be honest, I also liked the older covers, but these new covers really are eye grabbing and highlight the wonderful human element that plays out in all of these books.  This one is released August 4th, and I am sure I want a shelf copy! 

STATS

First Published  08/04/2026

Pages: 384

Available as an Audio Book : Most Likely - have not seen the audio yet. 

Trigger Warnings:  violence, murder, death, PTSD, vomit, blood, near death, AI systems gone rogue, aliens, treason. 

(this is not a full list, read responsibly)  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Whalesong by Miles Cameron

 So Many Thanks to Saga for providing me with an E-copy of this novel for me to read and review! It really isn't any surprise, given th...