Saturday, 19 September 2026

Book Review: Freedom's Daughters by Celeste Headlee

 When I saw That Celeste Headlee had a new book out, and it was on NetGalley- I simply hit the request button. No questions asked. Headlee spoke at one of our infection prevention conferences about how to have difficult conversations- her talk was from her book "We need to talk" of course. She was marvelous and we all still talk about her presentation from time to time.

I am continuing to have some issues with images loading here on Blogger. So if someone can help, that would be great, I am getting no help with the "help articles" 


Moving back to this very important and interesting book!


Headlee’s book brings history to life. The history that she shares is the history is many people are currently trying to erase, ignore or push down into obscurity. All of this is important, but the key piece here is that she makes it readable and relatable. Drawing from a decade of research she skillfully combines relatable family stories with the events of time times and brings it all together for readers.


I was only sad about having a digital copy because I had a lot of notes to take and areas I want to underline with exclamation points. Flatiron, I am so grateful for the e-copy, but I am gonna have to get the physical copy as soon as it comes out, of course!!.

I did receive an advanced listener copy as well from MacMillan Audio and I combined my reading with listening. Narrated by Headlee herself, this was fabulous. Headlee is a great communicator and I felt like the audio did enhance my read of the entire book.  It was great to do an immersive read. Having the author narrate meant that I was sure correct emphasis was placed where the author had intended.  AND, unlike some authors who really aren't also speakers- Headlee is a communicator.  Loved this. 


STATS

First Published:  10/06/2026

Pages: 320

Available as an Audio Book :  Yes 

Trigger Warnings: Education, Feminism (are these triggers?) 

(this is not a full list, read responsibly)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Freedom's Daughters by Celeste Headlee

  When I saw That Celeste Headlee had a new book out, and it was on NetGalley- I simply hit the request button. No questions asked. Headlee ...