Saturday, 8 August 2026

Book Review: The Burn Line by Jonathan Sims

 I picked up the Burn Line by Jonathan Sims  as part of "Camp Net Galley 2026"  This is a fun little event where they put on offer 10-20 or so books  and if readers complete the book and review within the Camp time frame, they receive a cute badge.

Now, there were a lot of people saying "will this help me get approved on Net Galley more?"  and I do not think having the Camp Net Galley badge is prestigious but, I know it's a lot of fun.  in 2025, I discovered Canticle by Janet Rich Evans, and loved the book so much I purchased it as a gift for my Mom. 

SO this year, I was HYPED for Camp Net Galley.  Unfortunately my new job was also "HYPED" for me to work some incredible hours. 

I have still managed one book, though I wanted to read about 5 of them on offer. 

 

 I chose the Burn Line by Jonathan Sims. 
Did I choose this in part because of the cover?  HECK YES! 
Looks at the cover! The interesting thing about book covers is that there is an artist , but also a designer who brings that cover to life and makes it just JUMP out of a shelf to catch your attention. 

  • Cover Art: Andreea Dumuta
  • Cover Design: Erin Fitzsimmons  SO- KUDOS to these two individuals who made me want to select this one out of all the choices. 
  • I really enjoyed this slow burn, tension filled horror novel. 

    As a "synopsis" with no spoilers: 
     
    5 perfectly normal individuals-who are wildly divergent come together in a London Underground tube car during the hottest summer on record. As the story opens, the writing had me immediately picturing each character as they endured the ride while trying to maintain composure in the hear. 
    Passengers experience a sensation of disorientation/disassociation which they all seem to chalk up to the heat.  They notice they have somehow gotten an oily gray film on their hands or other body parts, and also shrug that off as just part of the tube. Everyone is going about their daily life, but they all feel unsettled. Soon, the feeling grows, and these unlikely travel companions feel like they are being stalked by something very old and very evil. This of course is no way to live in the modern era.  This unlikely group of underground companions must somehow find each other again, recover those moments of disorientation and find a way to stop this evil before they become the next victims.   

    I loved the character development in this novel, readers meet wildly divergent characters who must work deeply with each other, and each of them must move out of their comfortable circles to achieve even the possibility of success. 

    Although there were some parts of the book that kind of dragged a bit for me, they seemed necessary for the ongoing character development over the course of the novel. 

     This is a very good combination of classic horror elements with a modern setting.  I enjoyed this one from Jonathan Sims and I would read more from this author. 

    STATS

    First Published  August 25, 2026 

    Pages: 384

    Available as an Audio Book : Unsure  (I hope so!) 

    Trigger Warnings:  classism, death, death of parent, gore, guns, drugs, transphobia, mental health, vomit, racism 


    (this is not a full list, read responsibly)  



    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Women in Translation Month

     I have been trying for two years to increase my reading in translation, and August is Women in Translation Month! So while I haven't re...