I have been trying for two years to increase my reading in translation, and August is Women in Translation Month!
So while I haven't read ALL the translated literature, I feel like I can offer a variety of suggestions for all sorts of readers! For variety sake- I have decided not to feature the most popular authors such as Isabel Allende, or Olga Tokarczuk. Since anyone can easily discover those works.
For those interested in Horror and History- I recommend Mariana Enriquez Our Share of the Night.
After a woman dies, her husband and son embark on a wild and chaotic journey with her unconventional, possibly demonic family.
I loved this novel, and I like that it was also translated by a woman. Although it is an investment in time, I was entranced by the writing and the bizarre twists and turns of the novel.
If Horror isn't you thing and you'd prefer a spicy romance - Let me introduce you to Only After We Met by Alice Kellen.
Don't let the name fool you. Alice is a Spanish writer and the translator was A. Nathan West (not a female translator, alas)
Our main characters Rhys and Ginger meet in Paris and spend one unforgettable night together. Readers follow their lives, keeping in touch via email. I won't give away the ending, but it's sure to interest thos who like a HEA ending.
In keeping with the Romance theme: Mona Kasten is a German author whose popular Maxton Hall Series has been translated into English by Rachel Ward!
If steamy romance isn't your thing- The Aunt who wouldn't Die by Shirshendu Mukhopadhyay. This was translated from Bengali by Arunava Sinha. Somlata is recently married into a family of decaying wealth. After an Auntie passes on, Somlata finds herself haunted by the Auntie.
Readers experience several generations of women all living in close proximity. Fast paced, and funny at times, this one is one I am currently enjoying.
And the Last one I'd recommend- but definitely not the least: Half a Lifelong romance by EIleen Chang, translated by Karen Kingsbury.
Set in the 1930's Shanghai, an Engineer falls in love, but is thwarted at every turn, encouraged to marry for wealth, and family ties, he persists in his desire to marry his true love. Will the star crossed lvoers find each other? You'll have to read to find out!
No comments:
Post a Comment