I hit request SO FAST On this one, because I am definitely down with anything SGJ creates (ok withe notable exception of Zombie Bakeoff) . I was thrilled to get an approval from Saga Press on Netgalley.
This book is definitely classic Stephen Graham Jones, but also- a bit different.
Its the same grit and real feeling but it moves along at a different pace, so if you were expecting a slow build up to a wild crescendo fo a finish, just get ready for a fast ride most of the way through.
This is sort of a sequel to The only Good Indians, which seemed fairly complete in itself. That said, sometimes characters just want to do more in the world, so- Have at it Mr. Jones.
Nate, our main guy- the one that apparently wanted to do more in the world- is on a mission. One that seems pretty straightforward. He, and some others, travel cross country to rescue the bones of a Blackfeet boy who was murdered at the Carlisle Indian School.
So- that hits home for me. I did indeed grow up 11 miles from the Carlisle. Growing up - it was talked about- lots of stuff in the area is named for Jim Thorpe, and we knew about it. We really didn't KNOW about it however, until later. So, any time my home area is written about, I tend to feel a certain way, and I do find myself VERY invested in the novel. So, I may not be entirely objective.
But Nate;s objective is simple... rescue these bones. Of course... this is a horror novel, and the horror of the Carlisle Indian School is not enough, something horrendous seems to have escaped through the bones.
What happens next? Well, reader friends you will want to put this on pre-order to find out.
STATS
First Published: October 13, 2026
Pages: 416
Available as an Audio Book : Hopefully?
Trigger Warnings: racism, transphobia, death, violence, death of parent, murder, injury with detail, vomit, body horror
(this is not a full list, read responsibly)
No comments:
Post a Comment