Monday, 7 September 2026

Book Review: Soul Proprietor by Stephanie Vance

  I saw this book on Net Galley and I loved the concept immediately. It seemed like a great book for upcoming spooky season.  I have been reading a lot of very eerie books, but nothing that had any bit of comedy about them, and this seemed to fit the bill.  Thank you so much to net Galley and Girl Friday for the Advanced Copy! 

I do love a good cover, and this one- has a great cover.  No doubt about it. 

In short, readers meet Tiffani - who is a highly motivated salesperson in the underworld.  What's she selling? Soul rentals. Tiffani is on her way up (or is it down?) as she racks up sales/rentals.  I never quite understood why a human would want to rent a different soul, but it seemed to be so they could gain a different sort of confidence. 

Tiffani, in her rush, accidently rents out a "recalled" soul, and chaos ensues as she attempts to recover the soul. The novel is funny and fast paced with a well imagined world (complete with Hell hounds that must lay on asbestos mats!) and could lead to lots of discussions on capitalism, and values inbetween the giggles. 
  For me this is a great book for spooky season, that balances out all of the unsettling eerie novels, giving readers a fun read that encompasses spooky season with a grin and a laugh. 

STATS

First Published:  9/22/26

Pages: 368

Available as an Audio Book :  Yes

Trigger Warnings: racism, occult, supernatural occurrences, ghosts, witches, alcohol use, incest. 

(this is not a full list, read responsibly)  






No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Soul Proprietor by Stephanie Vance

  I saw this book on Net Galley and I loved the concept immediately. It seemed like a great book for upcoming spooky season.  I have been re...