Sunday, 4 October 2026

Book Review: The Scarlet Ball by Nghi Vo

 RUN to your bookstore of choice and purchase this book. 

Ok, only if you are interested in some really engaging fantasy, with layers and layers to explore, with some amazing ball gowns to boot. 


So above is the US cover. 
Below is the UK Cover. 
 Which is your preference?  I'm going to tell you mine at the end. 

Set in an alternate gilded age NYC, this novel follows Judith Ban, an immigrant from Paris who is half running from a secret, and half surviving. She's working for a high fashion seamstress/milliner and once night she delivers to a high-society home. She's chased there by a massive storm, and once there, she is surprised by an offer that she can't refuse.  Judith soon enters society as a stand in for a missing relative.  While the novel revolves around the "season", balls, strategic socializing, and politicking amongst the New York powerful and wealthy, it addresses so many more aspects of life.  Judith must confront her own identity, desires and image to decide how much power she wants and what it is worth to her. Her sponsor also must address her shortcomings, and limits as she seeks to maintain appearances (and power). The supernatural elements of the novel expose the underbelly of this gilded age for what it often was- cruel, brutal and rigid - leaving lots of room for discussion- should one want to entertain a book club with this one. 
I want to talk more about the symbols in the writing, the plot, and the use of words in the book - but I am afraid I might... create spoilers. 
 I found it difficult to put this one down, and then regretful when I saw that i was so close to the end. 
    I am grateful to Macmillan audio for the Advanced listener copy. Natalie Naudus  was so good.  I prefer her, Eunice Wong and Sena Breyer above all others.  Highly recommend!

And YES, I prefer 100% for the first time ever- the American Cover!

STATS

First Published:  10/06/2026

Pages: 336

Available as an Audio Book :  Yes~11 hrs

Trigger Warnings: death, murder, storms, coercion, drugging, betrayal, demons, storms, floods, death of horse, death of person. 

(this is not a full list, read responsibly)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: The Scarlet Ball by Nghi Vo

 RUN to your bookstore of choice and purchase this book.  Ok, only if you are interested in some really engaging fantasy, with layers and la...