Saturday, 29 August 2026

Book Review: THe Grand Couvert By Eoghan Brunkard

   The Grand Couvert is a surprising novel I picked up because it had a Black Cat on the Cover. 

I'm not extremely into Black Cats or Grand Couverts  BUT, I had a reading prompt to read a book with a Black Cat on the Cover.  NOW.  I am fairly sure the person who did this bookstore reading prompt expected me to pick up some fluffy Halloween themed Rom-Com.  I was down for that, but this popped up on NetGalley and did look infinitely more interesting than a standard Rom -com.  


This was a unique read for me and I was sort of surprised and oddly charmed at every twist and turn in this novel. 

Probably my favorite twist was learning how the cat actually fit in to all of the business goings on at the time of the French Revolution. 

The French Revolution- yes it's the French Revolution, and we have a  reluctant participant- hero Edouard, who crosses paths with Edouard and offers him a chance he can't refuse.  All he has to do is find a secret relic.  And off we go... Edouard, and his team (who are ready for all adventure!) find themselves hot on the relic's trail.  They are, of course pursued by a Comte, or is that a Cat? You'll want to read to find out! 

I enjoyed this novel which was full of wry humor, and twists around every turn. This is a good one to buddy read with your history buff friend, as it's fictional but also highly accurate. 


   STATS

First Published:  05/01/2025

Pages: 332

Available as an Audio Book :  No 

Trigger Warnings: violence, political upheaval, death, troublesome feline, classicism

(this is not a full list, read responsibly)  




No comments:

Post a Comment

It's Hugo Award Eve!

 Tomorrow evening at 8Pm Pacific Time, the Hugo Awards will be awarded.  (cue sad trombones, for that very awkward sentence.)  I'm pleas...