I found this novel while browsing through my library's audiobook collection. I was itching to get back to some Outer Space reading for my 2026 theme, and I was also looking for books that would fulfill any one of the prompts for the Hardest Reading Challenge You'll Ever Do. Voila.
I do like the cover. It gives off a very 1980's Sci-Fi Vibe, and the character on the cover, does somehow capture the stubborn, ornery main character of the novel. Sadly, I cannot find any credit for who designed the cover or did the art work, so I am deeply hoping this isn't AI.
Millennium Harrison is your typical farmer. He's elderly, crusty, dusty, and ornery. Oh, and he farms oxygen, on the Moon. No matter that he's estranged from much of his family, even grumpy, he would give the shirt off his back (even if it mean being exposed to radiation in immense amounts) to save you if he could. He's also- curious. When he stumbles on an area of the moon that has equipment he isn't expecting, he starts to ask questions. And while he's
just asking questions- the questions turn out to be rather dangerous. They set into action a series of events that tumble and cascade like a set of dominos. There's a cover -up, decades old governmental secrets, and political scheming - all while Mil and his found and actual family are just trying to live their lives. Who will prevail? You'll want to read to find out.
Holmes has created a very believable Sci-Fi novel drawing on recent international events. There is a good blending of plot, hard sci-fi elements and character arcs to bring in multiple types of readers. I enjoyed this novel, but, I admit- I didn't find it all consuming. The plot wrapped up maybe a little TOO neatly there at the end, but I can't complain too much as it was very satisfying that way!
The audiobook was narrated by Keith Szarabajka. He did an amazing job, because 1 day later as I am writing this, I was thinking what an amazing job he did capturing the husk of Mil's 83 yr old voice, while also narrating the story smoothly - and also wondering who voiced the women in the novel. Yeah. It was ALSO Keith. He's not one of the narrators well known to me like Eunice Wong or Teddy Hamilton, but I'm a fan of Keith now.
STATS
First Published: December 5, 2023
Pages: 320
Available as an Audio Book : YES! (9 hrs)
Trigger Warnings: violence, nudity, , murder, medical trauma, torture, difficult family relations, Death of spouse, Death of parent.
(this is not a full list, read responsibly)
No comments:
Post a Comment